July 29, 2008

The opposite of greeny blue

...if we were being sticklers I guess it would be reddish orange, but since none of us are (are we?) this'll do:

wollmeise 005

Orangey, fuschiay, red. Aka, Wollmeise's Rosenrot. My camera hates red (Nikonians feel my pain!) so this doesn't even begin to capture the fabulousness that is this yarn.

For non-knitters (or maybe even a few knitters untouched by Wollmeisemania) the specialness of this yarn may need some explaining. The Wollmeise is a one-woman dyeing operation. She is famous for her incredibly saturated, luscious, and creative dyeing. So famous, in fact, that she can't even begin to keep her yarn in stock. Shop updates cause knitterly stampedes. I had all but given up on ever seeing a Wollmeise yarn in person.

But then: luck! I put one of my Sundara yarns up for trade on Ravelry and the first offer I got was for the skein of Rosenrot. Heck yes, I'll take that trade!

The yarn arrived yesterday (as did the Sundara to my trading partner) and I'll admit it: I gasped a little when I opened the package. The color is that intense. I have it sitting on my desk right now and every now and then I pick it up to gaze into the richness.

Oh. And? There are 574 yards of it. With many sock yarns averaging 350 yards, that's an astounding amount of yarn. This yarn will have to find a very special pattern match. (but first I predict it will sit in a prized position in the stash for a good long time.)

And now for some (gasp!) knitting. Yes, knitting.
Yesterday I pushed through a slightly irritating part of the shawl-collared vest and I feel much better. After the chevron pattern you have to increase for the ribbing in a snail-paced row of k1, m1, p1, m1. UGH. I had already messed it up once and ripped back so I was now determined. An increase row will not get the better of me!! So now I'm happily cruising along again in mindless 2x2 ribbing.

And there are some socks.

charade

At first the pooling and spiraling of the colors in this yarn made me crazy, but now I kind of like the quirkiness of it. The colors and high contrast variagation are so not my normal pallet and I find the change of pace charming. I'm embracing the pooling, and don't you try to talk me out of it.

1 comment:

Shana said...

oh dear. i can't believe you've introduced me to a new yarn to obsess over! :)