October 22, 2008

Rhinebeck: the sweaters

Seriously? I have never seen anything like this. The density of fabulous sweaters at the festival was overwhelming. Everywhere I looked, fabulousness. About halfway through the fest I realized that I should, no, MUST knit my own fabulousness for next year. (because at this point I can't imagine *not* going back to Rhinebeck.) Hey, friends and family? Prepare for a drought of knit gifts. Vilde is going to knit for herself for a while.


Okay, that's extreme. How about this instead: I'll try to find a balance. I mean, what kind of knitter doesn't have a knit sweater of her own to wear at Rhinebeck? That's got to stop.


On to other people's sweaters.

My friends had much clearer heads about wearing their own knitwear to Rhinebeck, and there was much frantic knitting in the car on the way in.
Elizabeth (of The Needle Lady blog) finished her fab Bonnie on the way in on the first day. She literally seamed it up in the parking lot. That's timing, right there.

Rhinbeck - E's photos

Shana knit the button band to her Truffle Cardigan on the way in on Sunday:
Rhinbeck - E's photos

None of our pictures of Shana's cardigan do it justice, but E got the best shot:
Rhinbeck - E's photos

There were umpteen Tangled Yokes, tons of Must Have Cardigans, and February Lady Sweaters everywhere you looked!

Speaking of Februrary Lady, check out this adorable matching pair:
Matching February Ladies!
I don't know these knitters' names, but how awesome are they? Super cute.

Twist Collective made a big and well-earned splash this fall, and probably the most spotted TC pattern at Rhinebeck was Wisteria.

Rhinbeck - E's photos
Here is Cheryl aka yarnbee in her awesome Wisteria!

Speaking of Twist Collective, there was a TC celeb wearing this sweater which, if I understand correctly, will be part of the winter issue of the magazine.
Rhinbeck - E's photos
(in an upcoming post the identity of the celeb will be revealed!)
How gorgeous is that??

I kinneared a handful of sweaters...
Rhinbeck - E's photos
...including this awesome unidentified aran. (anyone know what it is?) And dudes! Kilt hose! 

Finally, we made a loooooooong (and massively stash expanding) stop at the Briar Rose Fibers booth.
Rhinbeck - E's photos
And got this photo of Chris's wonderful Urban Aran cardigan, knit in her dyed yarn. More to come about Chris and Briar Rose, but since it can't be said enough, I'll say it here: This woman is a dyeing genius. I love love love her work. And look! She's a great knitter too! 
When I grow up...

Stay tuned: more Rhinebeck posts come come. 

3 comments:

A said...

Hiya! New to the blog ... a mutual friend sent me the link. (How's that for mysterious!) But I have to say I love you blog! Your rundown of Rhinebeck (which I was sadly unable to attend this year) is fantastic. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of kinnearing people's sweaters! I will have to try that next time. :)

Shana said...

Hey hun, thanks for the sweater shout out! I still can't believe I made it. :) I've been too busy catching up on teaching prep this week to sew on the snaps (although I did finish the crochet ruffle last night in a binge of fashion tv watching). I'll post a pic of the truly finished Truffle Cardi on Ravelry (I'm smgoldin if any of you faithful Vildeblog readers are curious). I am still glowing from our trip. What a fantasy come true.