November 28, 2008

FO: Postwar Mittens!

BOOYAH!
Postwar mittens
Pattern: Postwar Mittens, by Mary Ann Stephens from the latest Twist Collective (which, by the way, actually managed to outdo the first issue which I didn't think was possible!)

Yarn: Dale of Norway Baby Ull (from the stash, baby!)
Needles: two addi turbo US 0 circs
Date started: 11/20/08
Date finished: 11/26/08

Postwar mittens

There are a few fiddley things about this pattern, especially if you happen to be super picky about tension in colorwork. The "stars" that shine through the tile pattern are awesome, but if you get off a bit in tension, you get the effect of planets versus distant stars. E.g. they aren't even, damnit. These pictures were taken preblocking and I think it'll all even out enough to chill me out. The other tricky tension bit is the flecks along the faux seam. I lined mine up between needles which made tension extra challenging, and the white against black contrast really highlights any unevenness.

Postwar mittens
Eh, I think they're just fine, thanks. 
Postwar mittens
In fact, I'm pleased as punch. Easily the best thing I've knit in any single six day period.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

They are beyond fabulous! Blocking and a little wear will defintely even out stranded tension. I see you went with black!

Shannon said...

Vilde,

These are absolutely gorgeous!!! I might have to try the pattern now that I've seen yours. I love them!

~Shannon

Katie said...

those look gorgeous!

Lis @ ATruckerWife said...

these look wonderful!!!

Denise said...

I love them and everyone that I've shown them to thinks that they are fabulous. I picked out a head band pattern for them that I'll make this weekend and then they'll make their debut on my hands.

Chon