November 19, 2008

Personal mitten deadline FAIL!

Okay, it's Wednesday. My mitten? Is not done.

(blush)
I tried! I really did! That whole grad school thing got in the way a little bit. Shocking, right? I'm prepping for my comprehensive exams and I can't just stop everything to knit a mitten?

And if I'm being entirely honest I'm a little nervous to finish the mittens. Remember the gauge issues? The success of these mittens depends (desperately) on their shrinking in the dryer when they are all finished. The closer I get to that process, the more nervous I get that they won't shrink, won't shrink enough, or shrink way too much! 

I'm down to the second thumb. This should be a whiz. Finish tonight, soak, and toss them in the dryer (with obsessive frequent checking) until they are the right size.

Easy peasy, right?


RIGHT???


ps- what kind of crazy person puts her knitting in the dryer to fix gauge issues twice in one year? No one should expose themselves to that frequency and intensity of anxiety!

2 comments:

Shana said...

I was thinking of you today while staring at this gorgeous but way too big fairisle sweater my mom got me a decade ago. Could I shrink it to actually fit? Or will it ruin the design? It's a finer gauge yarn than your mittens I think. (Which I'm confident will be great, by the way).

Margaret said...

Ane if they don't shrink enough, I have plenty of laceweight for you to knit a liner with.