July 9, 2009

ISO: chocolate brown, wool, worsted or dk, 2 or 3 ply, long-wearing yarn

Is that too much to ask?

I've been surprised at how hard it is to find such a yarn. My go-to solid wool (Dale's Heilo) has no good brown. I jumped to Jamieson's DK, even buying two balls to see the color in person, but no. Neither of the browns is right.

Here's what I need:
-A beautiful, solid, chocolate brown. Slightly heathered would be okay too, but no tweeds or semi-solids
-Wool, non-superwash please. I'd even take a wool/something blend if it measured up in other ways
-a good quality, long-wearing yarn. Cascade 220 won't fit the bill here - I want an heirloom knit strength yarn
-no singles yarns or no cabled plies. 2 or 3 ply prefered, but I'm willing to go up to 5 or 6 if it looks like a traditional plied yarn and not the kind of cylinders seen in, for example, Debbie Bliss's Rialto yarn
-worsted or dk. I'd go aran weight too, if necessary.

Here's what I don't care about:
-softness. Butter soft or scratchy, I don't care. Merino? Fine. (as long as it's long-wearing) Romney? Great.

This reads a bit like a personal ad, no?
Okay, so my requirements are a smidge specific. But I'm willing to pay a pretty penny for such a yarn, if I could find it! And if I can't? Well then it's time for me to start experimenting with dyeing techniques so I can get an entire sweater's worth of yarn evenly dyed.

Any an all yarn ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

5 comments:

knottygnome said...

um, you could spin your own naturally colored fleece. lots of breeds can be found in chocolate brown.

good luck with your search.

Shannon said...

I have a pound (I think) of something...maybe Romney...that is a nice, natural, dark brown. How much do you need? Can you spin it yourself? I'd be willing to do a trade, just drop me a PM on Ravelry if you want me to investigate further. I could get some pix to you.

Margaret said...

Jo Sharp DK? Louet Gems Lt Worsted? Or find the yarn you love and dye to the color you want.

Vilde said...

Thanks, gang. I ended up hunting down some mill spun yarn from a farm that raises naturally brown sheep. Hopefully it works out! I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

Hi Vilde, lurker Debbie here -- (local, occasional shopper at Needle Lady). I bought some wonderful naturally brown yarn (moorit) from a nice lady in Wyoming on our recent drive cross country. If you don't like what you get, try www.wyomingwoolandgifts.com
I have three skeins if you want to see it first. Just email, I am debbie4 on Ravelry.