May 24, 2008

First yarn!

Last night was the second (and final) installment of my spinning class and here's what I came home with:




Yes, it's bumpy, lumpy, thick, thin, and fluffy - but it's yarn! And I made it!

We made a bobbin full of new single at the beginning of class and then plied it together with what we made last week. I really enjoyed plying but also see why a tensioned lazy kate helps a LOT. My bobbins kept jumping of my (non-tensioned) lazy kate when I would stop pulling from them, and the ensuing tangle was pretty ugly. And I think that some of the over-plied sections of the yarn come from me pausing to sort out the bobbins and then adding more twist to an already plied section. D'oh! No excuse available for the under-plied sections though...

I bought the drop spindle from Barbara (who might be the kindest, most patient teacher in the world!) and plan on practicing more with the hope of eventually getting a wheel. So much fun!

2 comments:

Monica said...

It's beautiful, Vilde!

Vilde said...

That's very kind of you to say, Monica! lol