May 11, 2008

Old habits die hard.

About seven months ago I figured out that I had accidentally knit Eastern style my whole life. It was a major revelation and now that I've relearned Western style I keep Eastern on the back burner for occasional combination knitting moments. So no major disaster, right?

Well, little chunks of my old ways keep popping up. I've been working on choosing a ribbing style for the split neck band on my Dad's sweater, and decided that my regular 1x1 just looked too sloppy. So I go to twisted rib. But I just can't make it back and forth! I keep ending up with untwisted or twisted in opposite direction stitches. Rargh!

And that's when the helpful Technique forum on Ravelry comes to the rescue. A closer look at my knitting showed that my ptbl stitches ended up with the wrong leg leading...

... I was still wrapping my ptbl stitches Eastern style! Aaaaaah!
My ribbing problem is now solved, but I can't help but wonder how many more times this little bit of my technique history will pop back up.

On the bright side, all this rigmarole has made me pay very close attention to how I knit, and I've learned a few things along the way. Hurray for that!

No comments: