July 24, 2008

Rovingmania

Last week I got a little enthusiastic about undyed roving.

four pounds
Phew. That's one pound of merino, one pound South African fine, and two pounds of BFL, all from Hello Yarn, all destined to be dyed and spun.

My first project was to dye some merino to compliment the lavender stuff from a few weeks ago. I had a bit of the green dye left so I tried an immersion dyeing for that. No good. There was too little dye and it ended up barely making a change in the color of the roving. D'oh!

So then I thought (and this is where I forget the power of beginners luck in my previous success) hey! I mixed that green once. Surely I can do it again!

Wrong.

The dye ended up being much stronger and much more blue than my previous green. It also separated a bit, which I don't understand. The process was basically the same, but this time I ended up with stronger blue bits, and stronger green bits. Hm.

So this roving definitely won't be finding its way into the same project as the lavender yarn. Sigh. But, frankly, I think it's kind of pretty. I can't put my finger on it but it reminds me of something... something oceany.

blue roving

2 comments:

Shannon said...

This is beautiful! Can't wait to see what it looks like once you spin it up.

alli said...

A stormy ocean.