August 28, 2008

Mitten Swap!

I am participating in my first ever swap. Margaret (from lotsofyarn) let me know about this fun mitten swap, hosted over at http://mittenswapthree.blogspot.com/. Swap parteners get assigned mid-September and the final packages are sent off at the end of November. Packages include knit mittens, but also goodies. And who doesn't love goodies? (Remember that when I got into the Wollmeise sock club at least some part of my joy was at the thought of getting surprise goodies in the mail. Yay surprise goodies!)

To get to know (and get to be known by) swappers we're all posting answers to the following questionnaire. Perfect activity for a rainy afternoon like today.

How long have you been knitting & how did you learn?
I learned from family when I was really young. Young enough that I can't remember whether it was my grandmother or my aunt who taught me. I've knit on and off ever since, mostly picking it back up as a teenager and having spurts of intense knitting (esp. the past year.)

Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Hmmm. Advanced intermediate? I feel like there is always more to be learned.

What are your favorite colors?
Blue-green. Green-blue. Green. Blue. (see blog banner.)
I also like red.
(and really, most colors. Bright colors, neutral tones, jewel tones, whatever!)

Any you dislike?
If I had to pick one, I'd say purple. And maybe orange. But that's just by themselves. When they are combined with other colors I tend to love them every bit as much as the beloved blue and green. Orange I even like by itself.

Do you like Latvian type patterns?
Yes!

If so, what are your favorite patterns?
I'm not choosey. I like them all. I also really like Norwegian mittens.

Do you desire mittens for yourself, your "special someone else" or your child?
Me, me, me!

What is the measurement from your wrist to the tip of your longest finger?
Seven inches.

What is the circumference of your hand at it's widest point?
7.5 inches.

What other things do you enjoy knitting?
Socks, sweaters, scarves, hats. You name it, I'll knit it.
Except for blankets. I won't say never, but just a lot. Lot of rows, lot of stitches. Lot.

What sort of needles do you enjoy working with? (straights vs circs, bamboo vs aluminum)
I tend to use addi turbo circs for just about everything, but I'm open to new ideas. I stay away from bamboo since it slows me down.

What’s one project you’ve not yet tried but are dying to make?
Monkey socks!

What’s one yarn you’ve not yet tried but are dying to work with?
Oooh. Lots. Regia and Trekking XXL sock yarns. Socks that Rock. Can you tell I have a sock yarn problem?

What other hobbies do you have? Do you spin? Sew? Garden? Cook?
Yes. All of the above. Oh wait - sewing intimidates the crap out of me. I don't sew.
Okay, mostly my husband cooks. Is eating a hobby?
I also play music (folk and classical) for fun. And I like to dye fiber. And hunt for wild mushrooms. And I'm learning to play softball. And I think I have too many hobbies. Okay, not really. Hobbies are fun.

Besides yarn, do you collect anything?
Um...
I don't think so! Unless books count and I don't think they should because they are mostly work books and that doesn't feel like a fun kind of collecting.

What kind of goodies do you enjoy? Sweets? Salty?
Yes. A good mix of both is heaven. Chocolate is the ruler of all things, though. I also love sour things and licorice. And crunchy things. Mmmmm things.

Anything you hate or are allergic to?
Can one "hate" tea? That seems a little strong. I'm not a tea drinker. One or two cups a year will do me just fine.
And I've never been into those little crunchy pretzels.

Do you have any kids? Pets?
first yarn 020
That's Milo. He's my boston terrier lovebug.
No kids, yet. Milo is very patiently playing along with being the pretend baby.
See?
milo!

What is your favorite part of Winter?
Snuggles, being inside when it's cold outside, stepping outside and feeling the sting of the cold air in your lungs, snow!!!!, the excuse to knit, the hearty food, the family time.

What is your least favorite part of Winter?
Commuting in icy conditions - brainfreeze! (I ride a Vespa) Stinging legs during walks with Milo.

Can't wait for the swap to start!

No comments: