August 10, 2008

Ravelympics update

Today was Day 3 of the big event, and I've made some decent progress on the big project, all things considered.

First things first: what is the Ravelympics?
Chances are that if you don't know at this point, you don't need to. But in case you have stumbled into my knitting blog from some kind of non-knitting lifestyle (repent!) and actually have interest in the strange habits of knitters, I'll summarize. A whole bunch of knitters from Ravelry (the huge online knitting community/database/timesuck/lifeblood) are challenging themselves to knit a project during the course of the 2008 Olympics. 17 days, 1 project.
There are, of course, events. I am participating in the Sweater Sprint, and as much as I'd love to place in the Sock Put, I couldn't handle the necessary crosstraining.

So. With the end date of the Olympics being Aug 24 and the birthday of my sister being Aug 26, it just made sense to Sprint a Sweater for her. My sister has a classic sense of style and with such a short timeline I needed a simple(ish) pattern. Enter Tangled Yoke, by Eunny Jang.

It will require some persistence and a little bit of crazy eye in the last days, I'm sure, but I think I have a chance of success. Here's where it stands now (please forgive the awful photo - I'm away from my (good) camera and it was either this or complete flash wash-out fest!)
grilling 006

That's five solid inches of garter rib for the bottom of the sweater. Tomorrow, I cross the Atlantic and hope to grow some stockinette stitch body on the way.

But for that to happen I guess I'd better go get some sleep. Athletes need their rest.

1 comment:

Shana said...

Wow, all those pictures of Switzerland were taken with a different camera?! Nice work! (not that Switzerland needs fancy cameras to look good in pictures, but still). Safe travels and happy knitting. Looking forward to catching up on the phone sometime soon maybe!