September 12, 2008

Alpine Autumn, finished

alpine autumn plied 001
190 yards, 3 ply, DK to worsted weight, BFL top, dyed by me.


This was a real plying challenge for me. First, it was my first 3 ply. Second (and much more challenging) I really wanted to keep the colors of the singles basically together.  I wanted a yarn that had lengths of a single color, with transitions between them where one of the plies changed colors before the other two, blurring the color.

And...
alpine autumn plied 015
I think I managed to do it! There are some messy points and some uneven spinning, but overall I'm happy with the yarn. I set out to try something new, and envisioned a yarn like this before I even started mixing the dyes. It's incredibly satisfying to see it work out!

alpine autumn plied 014

And I think this is a yarn that will show its best when it is knitted. The color lengths range from a yard to around eight yards, so I'm eager to see how it works up in a knit fabric. 

Man, this is fun stuff!!!

1 comment:

Shana said...

Wow, this is gorgeous! What are you talking about, uneven?? It looks fantastic! You just inspired me to stay home and spin right now... :)