January 27, 2009

Dovetailing

I always have trouble finishing one big thing without starting another.  I don't like the feeling of being without some lengthy project - it feels unanchored.  I love knitting socks, but if they are the only thing I have on the needles I get nervous.


Last night I had one inch of collar left to knit on the Urban Aran. So what did I do?

Seafoam yarn becomes...
I cast on, of course! 
The yarn is one of my first handspun skeins - the merino seafoam  if you remember it. It looks more gray than green on these dreary winter days, but I love a color that changes with the light.
This little beginning will eventually be the Seascape Stole by Kieran Foley from the summer '08 Knitty.  I'm making it in a much heavier yarn than the pattern calls for since I wanted a winter wrap rather than a summer accessory. I went up one needle size so the lace will still show, but the fabric will have some insulating density to it, as well. So far, so good.

PS - this morning I knit that last inch of Urban Aran collar and the body pieces are currently drying after their bath. Now the zipper waiting begins...

1 comment:

Shana said...

Yay! I've been looking forward to see that yarn in action! And very cool about your sweater.

Why on earth is the zipper taking so long to arrive? Did you order some kind of special zipper? Made from real teeth? ;)