June 9, 2009

Eyeing the frog pond.

I'm on the fence about whether to frog my Whisper cardi. On the one hand, I put it on and say, "hey! I think this'll look pretty good ." On the other hand, the knitting is supremely irritating. In order to catch all the stitches without slipping one I have to pay rapt attention. To stockinette.


I'm talking myself into frogging, here. Maybe I'll retry Whisper with a heavier weight lace yarn. This Fino is practically a cobweb and it's not working for Whisper.

So! With all this frog speculation and with the Seascape stole just finished, I am left without a big project. This can only mean one thing around these parts.

boxwood primavera
Socks! Primavera pattern in Wollmeise sock yarn club yarn. Yum.

But of course I am scheming, sampling, and swatching for The Next Big Thing. My first handspun sweater project, spun from one of the fleeces I bought last fall. The plan is to make a cabled sweater, but I am wondering whether the yarn is too variegated/heathered and if it will obscure the pattern.
When light comes from an angle, the cables show up beautifully.
Swatching

But when in full, direct sun the cables fade into the heatheredness, at least in pictures. (the swatch under consideration is on the right. I have already decided against the yarn in the left hand swatch.)
Swatching
Hmph. This effect is exaggerated in this photo - in person the cables don't appear this blended, but the trend is the same.
What to do, what to do? In the right hand swatch I am blending a gray fleece with a white fleece. I'm doing it a bit haphazardly, just flicking the locks together. I could try a more thorough blending technique, but that means breaking out the combs and frankly I don't know if I want to do that for this big of a project. I could try a sample with just the gray fleece, but I really like the loft of the white fleece and was hoping to include it.
I also wasn't spinning very carefully when I sampled for this swatch, and let quite a few bloops and blobs go by that I would normally fix, so the whole thing is a bit lumpier than I'd let the final yarn be.

All this to say that I am undecided.

But one thing is for sure.
Border leicester
I'm in love with the way my border leicester fleece is spinning up. I'll definitely be using this for something in the near future.

3 comments:

Shana said...

Don't frog the Whisper Cardigan! I know it's irritating to knit it, and boring, but the garment is REALLY fun to wear, and it's a great way to get rid of lace yarn without having to knit lace (can you tell I don't like knitting lace?) Did you try the Addi Lace needles yet?

I love the Border Leicester yarn! It's gorgeous. I think the cables will show up enough... They're not going to crisply pop with that yarn, but that's ok. It's not that kind of yarn. What do the cables look like in A Fine Fleece?

Sara said...

I'm using fingering weight yarn for the Whisper (I read the pattern wrong, but making it work) and I keep wanting to frog it also. It's slow, and tedious but I really love the way it is knitting up... if only I could get some motivation to work on it! Don't frog it yet!

I agree that I think the cables will work with the yarn, more of a subtle effect, but nice. Love the yarn!

Kathryn said...

In response to your cable w/handspun dilemma, I think it's unlikely that the cables will be at a 90 degree angle to the sun when you are wearing the sweater. Plus, how often are you going to be looking at this sweater? If you're wearing it, the cables can't be seen anyway! (heh... unless you find yourself forced to admire your handiwork in the mirror a lot)