June 12, 2009

Long term project

Remember these?
zeilinger order

Well...
Spinning the fleeces
For a number of reasons I have decided to spin up those fleeces rather than dyeing and selling the fiber. I haven't added up the weights (frankly it makes my head spin to even think of it) but I'm conservatively estimating that there are about 20 pounds of fiber total.

This is clearly a long term project!

I'm happy with how the first fleece is spinning up. It's a yearling romney with tons of luster, so I'm spinning it into a lofty aran weight two ply.
Spinning the fleeces

Look at this sheen!
Spinning the fleeces

This is definitely not a next-to-skin, merino-soft yarn, but I'm sure it will find a good home in a great project.
For now I'm spinning and spinning, but eventually this yarn or a dyed version of it will end up in the shop. My hope is to have sweater quantities of the yarn available and there may be custom dyeing options. For now, I'm just enjoying the easy, relaxing, endless spinning.

June 09
Milo finds it all a bit dull.

No comments: