April 5, 2008

FO: Pink Fetching

Thanks to Shana for the fabulous suggestion - instead of sweating over the red socks I wrapped up an old WIP, the pink Fetching. It was a super quick knit once I actually started working on it again and now I have a great pretty little pair of fingerless mitts to wear in my cold office.




Pattern: Fetching, by Cheryl Niamath
Yarn: Debbie Bliss, Cashmerino Aran - almost all of one skein
Needles: two addi turbo circs in US6


Mods:
I cast on five fewer stitches than the pattern since I wanted a snug fit, and I added one extra cable row at the finger end to help prevent the top from flaring out. I also adjusted the thumb placement on the right hand so it would look the same as the left from the top view.
I was worried that I would run out of yarn, otherwise I would have added a full cable repetition more to the finger end of the mitt. Looking at the scant yardage I have left I probably made the right call, but I do wish that there was a bit more knuckle coverage. Still, I think these will get lots of use!

What I learned:
This was my first pair of anything that goes on hands, so it was also my first time dealing with thumbs. This pattern has you knit thumb stitches with waste yarn and then go back, undo the yarn and pick up a few stitches to fill in the holes on the sides. Seemed like a good approach to me, but I'm looking forward to trying another option when I knit some Selbu mittens (hopefully this summer).

No comments: