April 8, 2008

Wrapping myself up in color

It's been cloudy and gloomy outside for almost a week now. I'm in the middle of a challenging section of my sweater pattern and those red socks have been delegated to during-lecture knitting since they take so much concentration.

And then I got a migraine.
I can't read or listen to music when my head acts up, but knitting works just fine. Doing something - anything - takes the edge off the pounding in my brain.

So I cast on a pair of socks. Plain as can be, stockinette socks.
But!
This YARN!



It's Colinette Jitterbug in the blue parrot colorway. I had mixed feelings about this yarn in hank form, but when I balled it up my love grew, and now that I'm knitting with it? I'm having a hard time restraining myself from placing an order for more.
The colors are mesmerizing and on US1 needles it is knitting up to a soft but solid fabric that I can't wait to put on my feet.

6 comments:

Monica said...

Oh my goodness! That is beautiful yarn, Vilde!

Vilde said...

Isn't in incredible? I love it more every time I look at it. I've heard a lot of people had trouble with knots and short yardage, but I didn't have a single knot in my skein and I think I'll have plenty for the socks I want.

And you should FEEL this yarn! The inside of the sock feels like heaven. I keep sticking my hand in there just to remind myself of what my lucky feet will experience soon.

You can say that my review of this yarn is glowing. LOL.

Shannon said...

The colours of the yarn are GORGEOUS!!! I notice these are toe-down socks...is there a particular pattern you use or like more than others? I would like to try these when I finish my current shawl project.

Vilde said...

I'm not a particularly experienced sock knitter - these are only my third pair, including the unfinished red socks. But I've really liked the pattern I'm using for these socks and that I used for the grey socks for my husband. It's Wendy's generic toe-up gusset heel pattern, which is available for free on her wendyknits site. The heel is super straightforward and I haven't had any trouble with it. I've been tempted to try her regular generic toe-up socks which have a different heel but I haven't gotten there yet. Maybe the next pair.

Hope that helps and thanks for reading a commenting! :)

Shannon said...

That is great! Thank you so much. I meant "toe-up". I haven't made socks at all yet and I feel just a bit overwhelmed by the thought...but I want to try soon! I really enjoy your blog! Thanks again for your help.

Vilde said...

I totally get that, but don't worry about it - once you knit your first pair you'll see how simple they really are. I promise! It's just a tube with a toe and a heel. And turning the heel really is one of the great simple pleasures!