June 6, 2008

The start of a restoration?

Yesterday my mother sent photos of her old spinning wheel that she's sending over to me. The hope was/is to get it into working order so I can actually spin on it. Looks like that may be a sizable challenge.

Here's the history on the wheel:
My mom's friend gave it to her as a wedding present back in the late 1970s. The wheel came from near the friend's childhood home, from a farm in southern coastal Norway. He got it into working order and gave it to my mom. She spun on it a bit, but through several moves and other circumstances the wheel ended up in pieces in the storage room.

Here's what it looks like now.






Oy.
I'm trying to get a sense for if there's any hope of being able to spin on it. I'm willing to put time and money into it. But even if it's beyond functional repair, it's a beautiful wheel that'd be lovely to have out on display.

So... this might be post one of an epic restoration journey, or it might now. We'll have to see!

No comments: