September 9, 2008

Novice Cabler Asks for Your Help

First off, meet my newest project:
urban aran 002

That's the Urban Aran sweater, turned cardigan by Jared Flood. I'm using some but not all of his mods - mostly just the sweater-to-cardigan bits. Though I might use his collar mods, too.
The yarn is Cascade Ecological wool and I'm LOVING it. I'm discovering my love of loosely spun yarns.

I haven't done all that much cabling in my knitting life. A few Koolhaas hats, the start of some socks, and some swatches. I'm a real novice.

So I have a question for all you experienced cablers that may be reading this. My 2x2 swooping cables on the left and right side look noticably different. One is all held in front, the other all in back.

urban aran 004
This is the right side, where the cables are all from holding the stiches in the back. I like the look - tidy, diagnoal columns of stitches with clear definition between the cables.

urban aran 003
This (blush) is the left side, with the stitches held to the front. I do NOT like how these look. Sloppy, uneven stitches, with little definition between the columns of cables. Blech.

I assume that some of this will tidy up with blocking, and I don't think I care enough to rip back and start over were I to find a solution, but I'm just wondering for the future (i.e. the front) if there's something I can do to make this better.

Pooled Wisdom of Knitters, I need your help! (and I'm off to search for an answer...)

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I think it's gorgeous. But that doesn't answer your question.

I'm thinking some will come out in blocking. One tends to stretch those stitches out a bit as they cross in front. While the ones in back are hidden so, you don't worry so much if they seem tight.

Are you using a cable needle? If so, then the only other suggestion I can make is to try slipping the stitches back to the regular needle before knitting them so they will be at a similar tension to the other stitches. Or, just watch your tension.

I won't be at SnB on Wed, so hope that helps.