February 23, 2009

Too big? Help me decide!

Okay, gang, I need your help.

First of all, thanks for all the super kind comments on my Urban Aran cardigan!
Now. On to the next project.
I'm nearly done with the body of the Diminishing Ribs Cardigan and at this point I'm thinking that I may need to rip back and make the smaller size. 
(please don't laugh at my ridiculous face in the following picture - these shots were taken between reading two hard books. That's why I look so consternated.)
Too big?
What do you think? The pattern says it's designed to have very little ease so it fits slimly and sits open. I thought, gee that sounds nice! And then I can stretch it closed and fasten it with a pin at the waist if I want to!
But when I made the size that I thought would do this, the whole thing just feels too darned big. At the collar I can overlap the sides by about two inches without stretching. And here's what the back looks like:
Too big?
(don't mind the dangling needles!)
I think that puckering is happening because there's just too much material across the upper back, and so when the ribbing starts and it pulls in a bit (though not nearly as much as it could for an actual fitted sweater) the stockinette section bubbles out.
The good news is that I'm loving the yarn and how the fabric works out. And I think I will love the sweater, but the fit isn't working for me right now.

That said, I'm worried that the next size down will be too small! This is the 39 1/2 bust size, and the next size down is 35 1/4. That seems like a BIG jump down. At the same time, there really is quite a lot of spare material right now. Hm. 

Tell me what to do! I can't decide!

UPDATE: I ripped. All the way back to the first few raglan increases. The sweater is down to about three inches from the cast on now. And I have angora up my nose. KaCHOO!

UPDATE #2: I cannot seem to get the right number of stitches after ripping! I have bizarre discrepancies between the increase stitches. I might just ignore it and plunge ahead working out the numbers in the increases. Or I could rip back farther (aaauuuuuuuuuggh!). I set the sweater aside for the night so neither of us got hurt.

6 comments:

Margaret said...

I think it will fit me perfectly if you make the sleeves a bit longer than usual! ;)

Seriously, it does seem a bit big, both in the body and sleeves, especially since you aren't going to wear it with something heavy underneath. I agree you will likely be happier with the next size down. 4 inches does seem like a big jump though. But you've got a really good gauge swatch now, so can you figure the exact dimensions from the stitch count then adjust the needle size to end up in-between?

Shana said...

Sorry you had to rip it out!!! But it will turn out ok. Have you had someone measure you lately? That is a big jump down in size. How do pattern designers decide such things? I want to believe they know something, but who knows?

Christy said...

I'm glad you decided to make it smaller. It is just a bit big. Hopefully things go a little more smoothly when you pick it back up today.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are ripping back. It will be lovely and the yarn is fabulous! I thought this sweater was for your sister, no? At any rate, your figure is too good to wear clothes too large. Hope it goes well! Victoria

Jen said...

You just started that project! How could you have gotten so far already? I'm in awe!

That said, sorry you had to rip it back. Hopefully you got the stitch discrepancy figured out.

Jen Diamond said...

I concur with Jen. I never know how you get so far so fast. I lost a needle for the baby sweater so I am sitting stuck in that.

I agree the sweater was too big. I'm not sure how to make it come out right. I also agree that the smaller size is too small. I do know you are brilliant so if you had a break you are likely to be able to look with fresh mind to determine what is missing that would make it all work out to the sweater you are envisioning.


Love Jen